Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Food Thief

Today is officially Alice's first day as a toddler at daycare. I think I mentioned before that we have access to a webcam in her room so we can check in on her. Needless to say, I have not gotten any work done today. I watched Alice sit at a table (strapped into little chairs) with the other kids and have snack then watched one of the teachers sweep most of the snacks off the floor. Right now, I am watching her play with a wagon. One of the other new changes is that Alice will be napping on a cot. I an very eager to see how this works out. I am not worried about her rolling off of the cot - they are only 3-4 inches off the ground. What I am curious about is how on earth are the teachers going to keep the kids ON the cots.

John and I have been trying different table foods with Alice at her meal times and daycare has too. At home, Alice will try a few things but then will decide that she doesn't like/want it and will gag. Two nights ago at dinner, we gave her a big assortment of things to try: plain spaghetti, watermelon, cantaloupe, carrots, mozzarella cheese (all things that she has had before - not a first for any of it). She tasted it all but spit most of it out...until we started ignoring her. That is when she actually started eating, well, let's say, she was more active with the food.

At daycare, the teachers tell me that she is typically not interested in the food that is put on her tray. She has even turned her head when being offered things. After giving her a good amount of time to try food, they feed her the baby food and take her out of the high chair and start over with another child. So while other children are eating, Alice is on the floor playing. Day after day, Alice will pull herself up to another child's tray and start eating (not playing with, eating) that child's food. This is the exact same food that she was given not 10 minutes earlier. She does not want what is hers, she wants what everyone else has. hmmmm..I hope this is not a trend. Odd behavior but I think it is pretty funny. John and I will have to do some experimenting with feeding at home.

Alice has had it pretty rough at bedtime these last two nights. Both Monday and Tuesday nights she has thrown up after being put in the crib to go to sleep. Poor thing starts crying and then it is time for another bath and sheet change. Last night it happened before I was even out of the room. I am taking her to the doctor today because of this and because of the fact that she has been sick for close to 2 months. Something has got to give. I think that she really has just had one simple cold after another but I think the "junk" (mucous) gets into her stomach when she coughs or sniffles and upsets everything from there. We just can't seem to get her dried out.

On the lighter side, we are going to get Alice's first real pair of shoes this weekend. The kids go outside everyday (weather permitting) in the toddler room and since she is starting the walking/standing motions, it is about that time. I have heard good things about Stride-Rite but have also seen their prices. yikes. I think that we will get her fitted and get her first pair there but then shop elsewhere for shoes. A girl has to have her shoes, you know.....

3 comments:

Just call me Mommie Dearest said...

ZANTAC. Ask if you can put her on Zantac :)

Anonymous said...

Here in Maryland, there is a Stride Rite Outlet. The prices are much better than the regular store. You may even be able to find the outlet online.

Colleen said...

Anon,
Good thought...thanks!
Colleen