Thursday afternoon I got a call from Alice's school telling me that she had a fever of 105. I freaked and flew over there, calling the pediatrician on the way. I ran in the building and the receptionist said, "No, she has a fever of 100 point 5, not 105" At that point I finally took a breath - I am sure that I heard her say fever and then stopped listening. Anyway, I took Alice to the doctor but everything checked out ok. He was of the opinion that she just had a virus because of the stuffiness. He reminded me that school has just started and the school age kids have younger siblings in Alice's class. So, home we went. Since Alice left school with a fever, she was not allowed back for at least 24 hours. That meant that she could not go back to school on Friday and since John is in New Orleans this week, I was out too. (Let me just say right here, I have an amazingly, awesomely, understanding boss.)
So on Thursday evening, Alice's temp went up to about 102. I decided to skip her dinner and give her a bottle instead - which she promptly threw up. (another side note: who would have thought that after being thrown up on, I would be so concerned for the other person that I would spent the next 20 minutes covered in vomit while I tried to console and clean up said person - ah, motherhood). I called the doctor who told me to give her some more Tylenol and let him know if the temp did not go down. I also called Christa - she is my #1 go to Mommy question answerer - who reassured me as well. The doc told me to try to wait about 30 minutes after giving her the Tylenol before trying to feed her again in case she throws it up again. Well, within 15 minutes, Alice was out cold and her temp was starting to come down. I put her to bed and expected a long night, especially since she now had an empty stomach.
She did not make a peep until 7:30am Friday morning. I went in to get her and found that her temp had spiked to 103. Tylenol, bottle, Mommy's arms, cartoons. This is pretty much how we spent all day Friday and all day Saturday. Her temp was up to 103 by the time each dose of Tylenol wore off. She was pretty pathetic, very quiet, and very sleepy both days. By Saturday afternoon, you could tell that she was starting to feel better, temp was holding steady at 100.2 but she was interested in playing and in eating table food. By Sunday, my girl was back. Temp was 98 and she did not want to sit in my lap for more than 3 minutes. We did some grocery shopping and went outside to play with the grass and leaves.
This morning was pretty routine, she wanted to play with her food more than eat it so we may be in luck with school lunch :). I hate, hate, hate not having John home during things like these and I know that he hates not being here to help her feel better. Alice will be asleep by the time he gets home tonight but I know that she will be so happy to see him tomorrow morning.
First Fever down....how many more to go?? Next time I have to figure out how to strap her to my aching shoulder. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment