Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Update Week 30

Dear all,
It is now T-minus 70 days until Alice comes! Mother and baby are doing really well. Alice had been quite quiet for the last week until last night. Growing like a weed I hope. Colleen is slowing down and enjoying putting her feet up. I have taken over the cooking duties. There isn’t a lot of variety and I am scared to branch out to something new so there is a lot of “throwing things on the grill.” I am trying something new with the blog. I am going to add sections for easy reading. :)
John’s ramblings for the week:
We had another birthing class last night. I like the instructor. She is one of the delivery nurses at the hospital we are going for the delivery. She talks a mile a minute and always runs out of time. She is very frank but won't tell you how often some type of condition happens at delivery. How often does the baby breach? The reply is "not often." As an engineer, statistics are my friend and it is driving me nuts.
Last night, it was C-section night. I am having second thoughts about this "coach" title because I don't have any coach responsibilities. I get to determine the frequency of the contractions before we go to the hospital. At the hospital, they have a seismic monitor on the belly. I have to help with the breathing but I found out at the class that it is only to distract the mother from just focusing on the contractions. During the c-section discussion, I asked if I needed to coach in the surgery and I was told that I would be sitting by Colleen's head. The medical staff would have everything handled and I should just be quiet or I would be told to go get some water boiled and find clean towels if we have the c-section. So, I am asking for head "Distraction" instead of “Coach” at the next class.
Upcoming:
4-D ultrasound this week and a doctor visit! We are going to try to post some of the better pictures and part of the video to the blog this weekend. So, keep an eye out. Also, if you don't want to go the blog every time to keep updated, we can set the blog up and it will send you an email to you directly with the latest ramblings. Please let Colleen know.
Have a great day!
John

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

John, God love you but this is the part I'm very happy Collen is normal and not an engineer.

Moreover, I'd have the same questions you do being an engineer myself. I honsently, think they don't want to scare everyone else who's not an engineer with real numbers.

Numbers are good friends to have and you can be a master of stat. in the delivery room. Just repeat everything the doc and nurses say!

Brandi