Monday, September 28, 2009

The Blah Blues

Alice is sick, again....still. :( She started coming down with a cold on Tuesday the 15th. Of course she did, because Gramma S. was coming on the 17th. It was a fairly mild cold with not much more than a runny nose but it put a real damper on the weekend.

My mom arrived on Thursday night (after Alice had gone to bed). We were up talking and when Alice woke up crying at 10:45pm, I went up to check on her and to rock her back to sleep. She was really wound up and had a hard time calming down so we rocked and rocked and rocked... I finally got her back to sleep around 11:45 and went to bed myself. She woke up crying again around 12:15am. Usually, I wait a bit before going in to check on her again because she tends to fall back asleep quickly. I stayed in bed listening only to hear her cries get harder and more upset. I got out of bed and went to check. I walked into her room to find my mom in the rocker with Alice trying everything she could to get away from her. My mom, meaning well, heard Alice crying and went in to try to comfort her and rub her back. When Alice started crying harder, she took her out of the crib and went to rock her. It was at that point, Alice probably realized that this person was not her mommy and wanted nothing to do with this stranger. So, I took her from my mom and started rocking again....finally got to sleep around 2am. Poor Alice, Poor Gramma.

The next morning was calm but my mom started a few paces behind in getting close to Alice due to the night before. We spent most of the weekend playing and napping - yes, all of us. Pretty exciting visit, huh (I didn't even take any pictures). By the end of the weekend, Alice would let my mom hold her but only if I was not around. When she is sick, she only wants me - she even cries when she is with John.

By Wednesday, we were fairly sure that the cold was gone, no sniffles and very cheerful. On Thursday afternoon, daycare called to tell me that Alice had a low grade fever of 99.4. She was allowed to stay at school but they wanted to let me know. I picked her up a little early and by the time we got home, her fever was 101. Tylenol, cool bath, cartoons and a bottle. Her temp was back to 99 on Friday morning so I gave her some more Tylenol and took her to school. On the way to school, she threw up. I called John who was still at home and got him to bring me a clean set of clothes. We met up on a side street halfway between home and school and got the girl cleaned up. (side note: Alice was such a fashion victim that day. The outfit John brought to me was ridiculous. Yes, both the shirt and pants did have polka dots but..... LOL) So, since I really needed to go to work and I knew that the meds were going to kick in any minute, I took Alice to school. I had a feeling that I would get a call once the Tylenol wore off but when lunchtime came and went, I thought we were in the clear. No such luck, around 3:30, school called to tell me that her temp was 100.5 and that she could no longer stay at school. So, we came home and did a repeat of Thursday evening.

That night she fell asleep at 6:30pm and slept until 9am Saturday morning. Her spirits were up but she only had short bursts of energy. You could tell that her head was hurting. She would come over to me and rest her head on my lap but did not want to be picked up - she wanted to play but was just to pooped. The coughing also started again this weekend. She has what seems to be a post-nasal drip that causes her to cough so hard and so often, so you know that makes her head hurt too.

Sunday was more of the same, we took a trip to Target (she loves sitting in the grocery card) but other than that, we had a pretty mellow weekend. As of this morning, no fever for 48 hours but coughing so much more than yesterday. My poor girl, I hate the fact that she cannot take any medicine. She has such a hard time shaking colds. The good news is that the heat has finally broken down here so our house is open again, the fresh air tends to helps quite a bit.

I just peeked in on her on the webcam. All the kids are sitting at the table having a snack, Alice is seated at the head of the table and she has her arms in the air. It looks as though she is holding court. Too cute!

Hope you have a good week. I will try to take and post some pictures soon.

No comments: