Warning: The next few paragraphs are gross...don't read if you are not a parent or your name is Brandi!
Alice has been fighting a cold for what seems like an eternity. She just can't seem to shake the congestion and mild coughing. Actually, just when I thought she was over it, she caught some new germs from the new school. I think that she is having a lot of post nasal drip because she goes through some phases of throwing up her food but does not seen to be complaining about an upset stomach, etc.
Saturday night, John and I decided to go to Landry's for dinner. We made a reservation (2 1/2 please) and got int he car. We pulled into the parking lot about 10 minutes early and as I got out of the car to get Alice, she threw up. Oh yuk. I got in the backseat to check on her and she threw up again. John started the car and we headed home. Poor Alice was just sitting in her own soup. Got home, got a bath, took apart the car seat...yuk, yuk, yuk.
Fast forward to this morning...Alice and I are in the car on the way to school. I am about half a mile away when I hear that familiar sound coming from the back seat. Yup, she threw up again. I know that I was pushing it by even taking her to school but my theory is that she was not throwing up due to a stomach bug, but due to mucus. So I carried the car seat into her class, took her out and plopped her into the sink. Turned the water on and started to strip her. I stood her up and undid her diaper only to discover (too late) that she pooped too. So here we are, Alice covered in vomit and poop and Mom trying to clean her up and still save her work clothes. One of the daycare ladies had to do a body check on me before I left, just to make sure I was 'clean'. So tonight I will take apart the car seat yet again.
OK BACK TO NORMAL, NON-GRAPHIC CONVERSATION!
The new daycare seems to be great. Alice is unhappy when I leave in the morning but if she is distracted, she is fine. Her primary teacher tells me that she is doing very well. She is making friends and only seems to have problems when a new adult comes into the room. I am sure in a few weeks, once she learns all the new faces, she will be fine. She has been eating like a champ and has been trying all of the school food as well. So far, she is not liking most of the things - probably due to new consistencies but we are still trying.
At her 9 month check-up, she was 21 pounds and 29 inches long. Her weight is in the 75th percentile and her height is in the 95th percentile. Interesting that she is lower on her weight because she is a very good eater.
The visit with my mom got off to a rocky start but quickly became wonderful for Alice. She and I arrived at the airport on Friday morning to pick up my mom. She poked her head into the car to say hello to Alice and Alice started crying. Not just crying...a meltdown. So powerful that my mom drove home and I sat in the back seat to try to sooth her. Once we got home, my mom sort of ignored her and sat on the floor in her playroom. After about 20 minutes, they were playing together. By the end of day on Saturday, my mom was feeding Alice her bottles and meals. (read: break for M&D). On Sunday morning, John was rocking Alice back to sleep in her room when my mom got up to use the bathroom. As soon as Alice saw her walk by the room, she started crying for her. Amazing, I think. Alice wanted Gramma - Gramma was very flattered! The rest of the visit was filled with lots of kisses and laughs. Alice got some new toys and clothes - both of which she needs badly. (LOLOLOL)
And now for the talking to end and the gazing at our cutie to begin. I added some comments....
OK one more thing I just have to share...and if it is ok with his parents, I will share these stories all the time. My nephew, Nate, is 4 1/2 and he is the smartest, funniest kid around. Here is the exchange he had with his Dad (my brother, Kevin) yesterday:
Kev and Nate were driving home from Pre-School when Nate asked about the “Yield” sign – wanted to know what it said and what it meant. After explaining, Kev said it rhymed with shield and then went on the recite a number of one syllable words that rhyme – just fooling around. Nate said, “Oh, you mean like Paraguay and Uruguay?”
1 comment:
I saw the warning and thought "Whatever, I can handle it. I've help to raise four and worked in a daycare. How bad can it be?" I should have listened. My breakfast is now in the trash. Next time I will definitely heed the mucus warning!
Post a Comment